Storrev, Devkarin Lich is Close on the Body
“There was a time when a four casting cost 5/5 cost you a life a turn and everyone was signing up for that.”
Storrev is “only” 5/4 Trample… But on the other hand it doesn’t cost you a life per turn. Furthermore, being Legendary is actually an upside in a world where Cast Down is one of the most common removal cards.
Point being, this Legendary Zombie Elf Wizard is close on the stats… Not close enough without its abilities maybe, but…
You’re Really Going to Want Storrev for the Hit Trigger, Though
Storrev is essentially a 5/4 trampling Ophidian.
For a card of this type — which often come out at 1/3 for three or even four mana in the case of Thieving Magpie — Storrev has outstanding power and toughness.
But that’s not all!
Trample is really meaningful here!
The opponent can’t just throw chump blockers or small token creatures in front of Storrev in order to prevent the card advantage trigger. Hand in hand, the ability to attack opposing Planeswalkers (and not just opponents themselves) makes Storrev a highly flexible attacker and source of card advantage.
What Might You Want to Get with Storrev, Devkarin Lich?
Storrev is fine as an attrition / grinding tool. Or as the realization of the old Jamie Wakefield “it’s the last fatty that kills you” theory. Storrev can clean up after you’ve traded a bunch and that’s great.
However, you can also do some aiming with this card. Here are some ideas (that, admittedly, transcend just Standard).
- Sakura-Tribe Elder – You can play the Rampant Growth-like Staple Snake to get Storrev out on turn three… And then get it back with your first attack!
- Cycling creatures – One of Storrev’s strengths is the ability to “aim” its card drawing, rather than just drawing whatever is on top of your deck. But if you want that kind of ability, creatures with cycling or landcycling work great. Engine!
- Plaguecrafter – Sacrifice this to itself and you can clear a path for your Legendary Zombie Elf Wizard… And have fuel to clear a path again next turn.
- Explore creatures – Merfolk Branchwalker and Jadelight Ranger can put random creatures into your graveyard… Right where Storrev can get them back for value!
- Planeswalkers – Especially some of the new War of the Spark ones that only have “minus” abilities. Reload!
We’ll be back tomorrow!
But first, give our Free Preview Podcast a listen: