A Little Historic, a Lot of Modern
Time Warp was Banned in Historic Last Week
… But we recorded this episode before that was announced.
So opener is discussion on a now-defunct Jeskai Turns deck. Hopefully everything else on that topic (structure of the deck’s engine, other key cards) makes sense though!
Speaking of which…
Commence the Endgame is a key over-performer
Forget about how folks are ultimately abusing their Izzet-engines for a second. Yes, yes… Time Warp itself might not be legal any more but the rest of the Jeskai Turns deck — which shares 50% or more of its DNA with Jeskai Control or even Izzet Phoenix — works just fine.
On that note, Commence the Endgame is a perfectly positioned sideboard card.
- With Fry such an important sideboard card, the fact that Commence the Endgame makes a black Zombie turns off Fry.
- Cycling a Shark Typhoon is a two-for-one. Commence the Endgame is a three-for-one! Key for grinding.
- Speaking of which, sideboard games are all about grinding. Commence the Endgame is great for that while ignoring the opponent’s Aether Gust (again the creature is black) and Mystical Dispute (while the spell is blue, it can’t be countered)
Modern Horizons 2 is Already Making Huge Waves in Modern
- Should Counterspell be played in the main deck of Merfolk?
- Tron was NOT a big winner. Modern Horizons 2
- Domain Aggro is one of the most exciting new-old archetypes. Vigilant Knight of the Reliquary and the many tricks of Scion of Draco are killer incentives
- Damn or Damnation? Damn or Go for the Throat for that matter!
- Chaining The Underworld Cookbook
- Gingerbread Cabin in Urza decks?
- Cursed Totem is the coolest catch-all sideboard card
So there is a LOT going on in Modern thanks to Modern Horizons 2. Consequently… The format is fresher than it has been in long months.