You don’t know what a Colossus Hammer is, you say? Let us help you out with that…
More on Colossus Hammer in a second; but before we get to Modern and Pioneer [with Companions!] it’s probably worth mentioning Vintage, which is “in a kind of weird, unplayable state” might just feature the first banning of a card before it is actually printed:
To be fair, we did warn y’all that Lurrus of the Dream-Den Sure is Good with Black Lotus.
All Kinds of Companions in Modern and Pioneer!
- Blinking Ice-Fang Coatl with Yorion, Sky Nomad [and wouldn’t Magic be more fun if all the decks were 80 card decks?]
- Your standard* Uro / Urza deck, with Emry and Galvanic Blast [* where “standard” is actually Modern]
- Seal of Fire just seems better than Burst Lighting in this 18-land Burn deck [that really only splashes white for Lurrus]
- Why there really are no prohibitive costs in Modern
- The card LITERALLY NO ONE should talk about in Modern [Weather the Storm]
- Klothys, God of Destiny; Glorybringer; Bonecrusher Giant… All in a viable Modern deck? [aka “the good guy”]
- … And so much more
But Our Favorite Deck is Colossus Hammer Beatdown!
Let’s start with Bogles; aka “Infect that’s great against Burn” according to Mike. While Patrick isn’t super happy with that description, the decks are often spoken about in relation to each other. Both are about playing small creatures with specialized abilities that specialize in putting a ton of pants on one of those creatures to win in a small number of attacks.
Infect is historically much more explosive, and a bit faster; but can be vulnerable to point removal.
Bogles, with mostly hexproof creatures, is far more resistant to removal, but less explosive than Infect. But Bogles is slower and — at least prior to the recent availability of Lurrus of the Dream-Den — could collapse like a house of cards if the one creature it drew was dealt with via discard or a Liliana activation.
But now we have Colossus Hammer!
What makes this deck so exciting?
- Colossus Hammer plays actual good cards. Don’t forget: Stoneforge Mystic spent most of Modern on the Banned List
- This deck can be as explosive as Infect. Kor Duelist + the Hammer itself is worth more than 20 damage
- Though the Hammer is a permanent, this deck has some instant speed play. Sigarda’s Aid and Magnetic Theft can act as lethal “Giant Growth”-type cards.
- It can defend its combo. Giver of Runes (or Spellskite in some versions) can keep your attacker alive to attack for lethal.
- It’s ALSO an Infect deck. What’s better to give +10/+10 to than an Inkmoth Nexus?
Ready to pound the opponent for 20+ (or lethal Infect)? What are you waiting for?